Saturday, January 12, 2008

Swiish swoosh!!

Presentations.
Speeches.

Nervous?
Panic?
Scared?
Shy?

I have seen so many people presenting in front of crowds. I have seen so many people giving speeches. I have done it a few times myself.
What do I feel? I have to admit, scared to my deathbed!!

But how come he or she looks so calm. Theyre not even shaking! Not even sweating! That is so unfair.

The other day, we had to present some facts in class. I started panicking of course. My ears were hot. My cheeks could make water boil. I looked at the rest. They were so relaxed. What happened to P.A.N.I.C people?
So one by one, we were called out. The first person who was called out was the most relaxed. But, when he stood in front, the paper fell out from his hand, because it couldnt stand being shaken so badly. The guy was trembling I tell you. Boohoo. So much for SuperRelaxman.

The next girl was babbling, stuttering and was talking nonsense. She was just blah, blah, blah non stop. Earplugs! I need earplugs!! Quick!!!

The next girl virtually ate all her words. She was not heard. Perhaps the girl who went before her stole her voice. No wonder she was loud. She was like ummm,umm,umm,umm,umm. Thats all.

The next boy, moved his hands a lot. Even Karam Singh something (dont really know his full name) just had one move. He, he was pointing upwards, downwards, right, left. Everywhere!! His hands were flying! swiish swoosh!

The next boy just stared at us. It was soo scary. He looked like he was going to faint. He was breathing rapidly. I guess the teacher noticed. So for fear of any unwanted incidents, she kindly asked him to sit down. Thank God.

The next girl, talked so calmly, so smoothly, no stutters. She nailed it! I felt like giving her a standing ovation! She was GOOD!

RRRRIIINNNNNNGGGGG!! End of class. Thank god I didnt have to present today. But I have to for the next class. I rushed to the girl, and forced her to give me tips. I always believe in "learning from the wiser", if that makes any sense.

The girl just said, " Well why should I be scared. Its just talking. Its something we do everyday rite?."
I was flabbergasted. My jaw literally touched the floor. Is that it? Is that what she thinks its all about? That's totally nuts!

So not satisfied with the answer, I asked her again. Umm, sorry, but u saw all the drama that happened just now, I dont think they'd accept that answer. I mean one of them nearly fainted for heavens sake.
Her answer, "Well, I dont think about it too much, I just do it because its my duty to present my work, and I feel that by sharing knowledgeble stuff, it benefits all of us. So when I think of it in that way, I say to myself, why the need to be so scared and feel such panic? I normally take in deep breaths before I start, and then when I'm in front, I own the stage. They're just people in the end. No need to be so scared of rite?"

Yeah Rite.

Great answer. Its so true. Why the need to panic? We are supposed to share knowledge. When we present, or give a speech, we are basically sharing our thoughts and views. We should feel honoured when chosen to do such things. We're giving something back to society. Sounds so huge, but it really is so true.

Our prophet peace be upon him used to give speeches to massive crowds. Never was he scared. He conveyed his message in the most clearest way. If he stuttered or ate his words, do u think his teachings could have been passed on to many future generations. I dont think so. He was a man of wisdom. A man of words. He didnt panic. It wasnt necessary. It isnt necessary actually.

So from now on, Im gonna try to be as coonfident as I can. Its gonna take buckets of courage and guts, but with strong will, I will get over my fear. I will speak with full confidence. I will not let myself be laughed at for no reason. I shall follow the prophet. He was so calm. I too must be calm.

I know it sounds so hard. Many people have stage fright. But once we tell ourselves to not be so nervous, we wont be. Our mind is so powerful. U talk to it, it will follow u. U say " Hey, Im so scared and nervous", ur mind will do the exact thing u said. But if u say " Hey, Im so confident, Im gonna breeze through this whole thing well, and Im gonna present what im supposed to present". Well, people, ur gonna knock the audience down real hard.

Try it. For your own good. Goodbye my fears. Bring on the speech!!Yea yeah!!


hmm, im loving it...