Friday, July 11, 2008

To them we owe alot...

I was in Times Square the other day, when I heard a mother and daughter screaming their heads off. Not caring about the amounts of eyes googling at them, they just continued shoving harsh remarks at each other. At the end of it, it seems as tho the daughter got angry because her mother would not let her go out to the movies with her boyfriend. That girl's got to be thick.

So when I went back , I was thinking about that fight, constantly trying to figure out why is it that us children, and parents, never seem to be on the same page.

So this is an analogy I came up with.

Father is at home, very stressed out at work, and hadnt had his dinner. He's wondering about how he's ever going to pay off his RM12,000 card debt and his RM20,000 house loan payment. His boss just gave him a scolding for not finishing his work on time, and he knows its because the last weekend was spent with his children, trying to make them happy.
Meanwhile, son comes into the room and says, "Dad, can I have an Ipod mp3? Everyone at school has it, and I feel so left out and embarassed.! I always have to face them and give them so many excuses as to why I dont have one yet. So Dad, I want an Ipod, a black one to be precise."

Dad turns red, and his bad mood goes full blast. He looks up and shouts, "Why is it that you need that useless gadget? Dont you have anything better to do than to please your friends? Havent you thought about me, how hard Ive been working to get u a nice home, and equipt u with food and education? What more do u want? I never had and was allowed an mp3, why should u??!"

Shocked, angry, you flop urself out of the room and mumble short, anger-filled words."Why is he acting so crazy, he doesnt understand me! He doesnt care about me! I wish I had (*my frend's*) dad as a father!!urghh!"

Many a time we feel angry and upset with our parents. But if we sit down and really think about why they do some of the dreadful things we just dont understand they do, we come to realise that parents have so many things to worry about, and no one's perfect, so then why do we expect our parents to be perfect? Of course, not one parent is the same as the other, but they do have their similar mood swings at times. We just have to understand, be grateful, and most of all, bear through all of it with patience. Say thank you to them always, for because of Allah and them, are we able to live and taste the blessings of Earth.

May Allah forgive and bless our parents always, and may He love them as much and even more as how they loved us when we were small. Ameen.

Love ur parents. To them we owe alot.